The following terms govern the use of Fortnite Boards websites and technologies, along with other online features and services, including but not limited to emails, forums, giveaways, newsletters (collectively, the “Platforms”) operated by Fortnite Boards and our subsidiaries (collectively “Fortnite Boards” “we” us” or“our”).
Fortnite Boards reserves the right to modify these terms at any time, without warning, with the new terms coming into immediate effect from the moment they are published. It is advised that you take the time to periodically check for updates across our platforms.
Why cookies are important
Cookies serve a multitude of purposes, from ensuring that our websites function as intended, so allowing us to serve you the ads that are most likely to resonate with you. Cookies can store your login information, or remember your preferences on our websites, giving you the best experience on our platforms.
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a file that is stored on your browsing device, used to communicate with the websites that you visit about various preferences of your user experience.
There are two main types of cookies, a Session Cookie and a Persistent Cookie. According to Wikipedia, they are respectively defined as follows:
A session cookie, also known as an in-memory cookie, transient cookie or non-persistent cookie, exists only in temporary memory while the user navigates the website. Web browsers normally delete session cookies when the user closes the browser. Unlike other cookies, session cookies do not have an expiration date assigned to them, which is how the browser knows to treat them as session cookies.
Instead of expiring when the web browser is closed as session cookies do, a persistent cookie expires at a specific date or after a specific length of time. This means that, for the cookie’s entire lifespan (which can be as long or as short as its creators want), its information will be transmitted to the server every time the user visits the website that it belongs to, or every time the user views a resource belonging to that website from another website (such as an advertisement).
For this reason, persistent cookies are sometimes referred to as tracking cookies because they can be used by advertisers to record information about a user’s web browsing habits over an extended period of time. However, they are also used for “legitimate” reasons (such as keeping users logged into their accounts on websites, to avoid re-entering login credentials at every visit).
These cookies are however reset if the expiration time is reached or the user manually deletes the cookie.
Other Similar Technologies
Fortnite Boards may also utilise cookie-like technologies, including pixels and site tags. These technologies are used to retrieve information essential to us to get a better understanding about how our website is functioning, who’s using it, when and from where. The data we will retrieve includes device type, e.g. iPhone; operating system, e.g. Windows; time of visit; etc.
While they may interact with your browser’s cookie, they’re not actually cookies themselves.
Types of Cookies Fortnite Boards Use
- Authentication – used to identify you during everyday usage of our Platforms.
- Status – used to determine if you’re logged into our Platforms.
- Security – used to protect both our platforms and our users, for things like fraudulent use of credentials.
- Personalization – used to store information about your preferences and to give you the user experience that is right for you.
- Analytics – used for performance measurement, such as how many people visit our Platforms. This data is passed to, among other websites, Google. You can review how they might process your cookies here.
- Advertising – used to deliver the most appropriate adverts to you while you use our platforms. They may record the frequency with which you’ve visited the website, so you don’t see the same adverts every time. Advertising cookies are either placed by Fortnite Boards, or one of our trusted partners.
- Cookie Consent – used to keep records of which cookies you’ve consented to.
- Fortnite Boards Trusted Partners
On our Platforms we only allow cookies from trusted parties. These parties may deliver adverts to you that are targeted to your interests, with some of that data being collected through cookies. Our current partners include but are not limited to:
- Google DoubleClick and Google Ad Network
- Other 3rd Parties
Deleting Your Cookies
You have the option to remove cookies, or to opt out of any cookies placed by Fortnite Boards during your time on our Platforms. By removing cookies, you may no longer get the intended user experience.
You can opt out of cookies using your web browser and deciding which ones to block or allow. This allows you to see in greater detail what cookies are being served by our website, and decide which you wish to keep or block.
The following are some useful resources for more details and information on managing your cookies: